Picasso’s Eggs

Picasso claimed that every child is an artist and that the difficulty is in remaining an artist as you grow older.  I suppose that is true.  With the exception of a few scientists and engineers,  the majority of my friends are artists, musicians, writers or are involved in some other creative discipline.  There is definitely a shift in production as you get further from your teenage years and you have to adapt, take a break, or give up.

A couple of years ago I used to get these really strange headaches that would intensify over the course of a few hours until I was practically immobilized by them.  Sometimes I would get physically ill and end up throwing up in the bathroom until I passed out.  My girlfriend would usually come home a few hours later and wake me up.  She would ask me if I was alright and, surprisingly, I always was.  I had some of my best ideas slipping in and out of consciousness on that bathroom floor.  That is probably the closest I’ve ever come to being inspired in a truly mysterious and unexplainable way.  The rest of the time I just elaborated on a true story, embellished a reoccurring concept or collaborated with my imagination and caffeine.

I think a lot of people hope for that epic creative vision but it’s just not a reliable way to create art.  I suppose you could chemically induce a creative vision with hard drugs but you’d also waste a large portion of your day eating with your mouth open, confusing something with something else and thinking you had an original idea when you actually just remembered something that already existed.

“Whoa man, if it’s called Futon why can’t you eat it?”

“Do you mean Tofu?”

“What?  Ha ha ha!  What?!  Tofu’s not an egg noodle.  Wait, wait! Shut up!  I just had the best idea… Canned Eggs!”

While some people can thrive in an altered state, it is not necessary for producing creative works.  I know we all need breaks and it becomes easier to think we’ve gone as far as we can go, rather than going a little bit further.  I do not care who you are, there is still a lot to see, be influenced by and report on.  You can stay inspired through actions and adapt, instead of giving up or committing to a more drastic methodology.

Creative people, now is the time to get back into it.

Advertisements

About You Monsters Are People

Wisdom, wonderment and weird for everyone.
This entry was posted in comics, humor, Life, Musing, musings, science, Webcomics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Picasso’s Eggs

1. nrhatch says:

Entertaining, inspirational, and funny. Everything I look for in blog posts!

Thanks!

2. necrokitten says:

I approves of this blog post. I agree completely with everything you said, and oddly…I now want eggs. Possibly in cans.

• Posky says:

If cheeseburger can come in a can, I have no doubt that everything else does too.

I’m pretty sure I saw eggs in a can at the Hu Sing market I frequent and I KNOW I’ve seen them in jars at bars.

3. leahkaminsky says:

I really enjoyed this. It reminds me of an anecdote a writing teacher once told our class. He asked a composer friend of his whether when he gets his ideas it’s “shower moment,” aka “Doo doo doo just showering along like normal… By God, I have it!”… or if it’s something more mundane. The friend said that every once in awhile he had moments like these, but mostly it took sitting down at his piano and just tinkering. I think that holds true for the creative process across all arts. You try a note here, see how that sounds, try another note there, see how that sounds, until you have something bigger, and then you put that bigger something next to other bigger somethings until you have an even bigger something, and then maybe you go back and tear it all down and tinker around again.

That is: creativity to me doesn’t seem to be in the big stuff. For writing, it’s single images, words and phrasing you’re particularly drawn to, a funny snippet of dialogue, an interesting plot arc, etc. that you tinker with until it’s something bigger. So… creativity on the local level leads to more global creativity. *That’s* how you do something new. I suppose altering your state can inspire those little moments, or take your guard down so that you’re open to playing with what you’ve got, but I think what you need is there from the start anyway.

• Posky says:

My creative inspiration spans the gamut but ALL of the work comes from making the time to write, film, draw or play music.

I’m glad you enjoyed and hope you keep pushing yourself creatively.

4. lesliepaints says:

Love this post. I am in agreement with Van Gogh that everyone is an artist. Some people just enjoy it more or become discouraged when they learn they may not be able to support themselves with their self expression. I draw and paint, I suppose as a hobby. …but somewhere it became more than that as I teach some and show some and sell some. Once in a while a creative idea seeps into my creating, but mostly I like trying to manually play with creating on a two-dimensional surface trying to share what I see. It is a challenge and a joy and an activity that I feel good while doing. If I was constantly searching for that aha idea, I’d rarely get anything down because nothing would be good enough. When someone can’t help but write or dance or paint or sculpt, that is the person I want to follow and see what they come up with. Good post, Posky.

• Posky says:

I guess I am one of those people but the drive is useless without a bit of focus and a talent or the ability to improve. Some of the best artists I know where people who just were naturally good and had minimal drive or lost their confidence. I would like to see those things restored.

5. izziedarling says:

Every time I have laughing gas (at dentist) I have the best damn ideas and I can’t remember any of them when the gas is turned off. Damn. Good post!

6. Miranda says:

“Whoa man, if it’s called Futon why can’t you eat it?”

“Do you mean Tofu?”

That totally made me choke on my sushi. Which means your blog almost killed me. Great line and I love the Can of Egg illustration because, really, who doesn’t enjoy a nice jar of pickled eggs?

• Posky says:

While I am sorry about your near death experience, I look forward to you reading more of my stuff and chocking on all kinds of things.

7. ragrobyn says:

canned eggs…I’m IN!

8. Justin Dupre says:

What an inspirational story! I love your writing style and how you put this all together. I’ll be sure to come to visit again. Keep up the great work!

9. I like my canned eggs with a side of canned bacon and canned toast.

10. Canned Eggs. Okay, long ago had experiences with powdered eggs that even the familly German Shepard REFUSED to consume! That’s my take on eggs that are NOT Duck Eggs. Love the eggs of free wandering duckies. YUM YUM. Quack Quack eggs beat the tar out of Cluck Cluck eggs–wings down.
    But–now for that creative inspiration gig–maybe I’m just a tad off–but–a fresh roll of 35mm b&w film in my old Minolta x700 and a road trip gets me going like no ‘drug’ possibly could. Yes, there have been times when I couldn’t click the camera because my hands were shaking with too much excitement. Talk about a failure to find closure—ahhh yeah. In extreme contrast, when I work with pen/ink it’s totally stress free, deep relaxation and semi-meditative state–and there is NO plan for attacking the paper. When engaged in serious writing I have no clue about the rest of the world. A bomb could drop outside and I’d be oblvious. NO DRUGS employed. What’s with all this drug inducement, eh? Just another justication for messing with ‘your’ own minds?
    Dunno, dunno.
    Canned eggs are from another universal hell.

• Posky says:

Maybe people just like being high. That would make sense but I would still recommend saving recreational drug use for recreational periods of time. I take creative expression too seriously and enjoy it too much to dilute it with anything other than coffee.

11. Artswebshow says:

I agree completely.
    good post.
    Got me thinking

12. Michael Ian Red says:

Most who try the chemical assistance become poor hack knock-offs of the rare few who make real art; but even they ultimately succumb to falling off or chemically assisted death.

13. Posky, POEM UP for Echostains’ Vincent painter poem party!

• Posky says:

I must have wrote six different things and I did not deem any of them good enough to submit. Mr. Van Gogh doesn’t need the likes of me putting words into his mouth, he’s suffered enough already.

• OOOO cluck cluck! Hey, don’t put anything into his mouth–just a fun show of appreciation–if you do appreciate all his love of light and color. Hmm 6 different things–well–seriously going to, Posky. Take the best of each for a ‘melody’? Don’t get me wrong here, please just suit yourself, funny-man. Just a nudge to have a little poem fun. Grins.

14. Saumya says:

Wooh! Canned eggs was all I needed! Man, how did I miss it?!

I am truly inspired reading this…..

15. theonlycin says:

What a delight to discover this blog!

16. catereena says:

Reading this made me think of Ryan Larkin. I recently watched an animated short film about him ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfgLBMmtVs ), and it really made me more aware that not all artists have the perfect life just working in their studios with endless creative ideas.

17. Pingback: Giant Dogs and Unlikely Ova: Another True Story | Posky, Comics and Such

18. This is utterly despicable! If there’s anything more wrong in canning an egg–the most visually appealing of all natural chow–it’s the whole human fetish for canning itself.

Comments are closed.