Will Work for Purpose

Looking for regular work in the creative sector is no easy task.  If you haven’t heard about it already, we’ve got a recession on and Michigan has not faired particularly well.  For a time, I considered being a hobo-drifter but they’ve fallen out of fashion since John Steinbeck finished Of Mice and Men.  I guess that the book didn’t romanticize the concept of wandering the country looking for work without any friends or money particularly well.  I would much rather be a starving artist anyway, and for a time, I was.

I once left a job because I spent the majority of my time dissatisfied.  There was no professionalism, no direction and no reason for me to continue working there.  I watched competent co-workers get penalized over trivial matters by a vindictive supervisor who lied habitually through phony smiles.  I don’t think she meant to be so unbearably awful or to hinder the office so heinously, but I often had trouble looking her in the eye.  It was probably due to a lack of respect but she also had a lazy eye, so that didn’t help.  The bottom line was that most of us want a position where we can be appreciated, effective, innovative and she stood in the way of that for me.  No matter what you are doing, do it well with pride and professionalism.  If, for whatever reason, you cannot then it may be time to move on.

However, when you do decide to move on, ensure that it is to pursue something important.  Don’t waste more time than you have to.  There are many reasons not to do something but rarely any good ones.  I’m proud of anyone who completes a dream, no matter how small.  In fact, I recently did some cover art for my friend’s album that I’m quite fond of.  The entire album is free to preview and, if you decide to buy it, all the money is going to charity.

Advertisements

About You Monsters Are People

Wisdom, wonderment and weird for everyone.
This entry was posted in Current Events, humor, Life, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Will Work for Purpose

1. I don’t know if you meant to be politically and philosophically projective of the nation’s future, but our friend holding the sign here is very prophetic. One of the causes of the Great Depression, which barely gets recognized, was that industry did not pay workers enough to become consumers of products produced. It is happening again. Don’t they see it? So if two thirds of the nation is living on a “Walmart” budget, how can they profit? I don’t think we are in a depression or recession. We are in the “new reality.” The present status quo will remain the future’s status quo. With low paying jobs with no benefits or pension, how can anyone have a future? This is for men and women in their 40’s – 60’s who have been laid off that will never re-establish and for new college grads that will not begin to establish at all. So working for “purpose”, if you can find any, may well be the only compensation for work since it won’t be for financial gain or even security. So working at the drug rehab, the church mission, or other social work may bring ” purpose” but you can’t support a home and family on “purpose”. “These are times that try men’s souls…” ( Thomas Paine).

• Posky says:

While I feel like I have been cheated out of a future promised to me as a child, I’m actually glad the world is changing. It think a lot of people in my generation see boomers who have lost it all and don’t really want to risk going down that same road and it seems to have made people worry less about material goods on the whole. I’m not particularly excited about the bleak economic future and, you’re right, you can’t support a family on a purpose driven career if it doesn’t pay. However, some good may come of this and perhaps we could all benefit from not having it quite so easy as those before us.

2. Cindy says:

lmao @ lazy eye!
    Can’t listen now, will have to come back when my speakers decide to work again …

3. “No matter what you are doing, do it well with pride and professionalism. If, for whatever reason, you cannot then it may be time to move on”…one reason I no longer wish to practice medicine. I’d rather be an obscure blog-writer rather than a successful physician…silly me!

• nrhatch says:

Same here . . . I’d rather be an obscure (but happy) blogger than a successful (but unhappy) attorney.

• Posky says:

I’ve heard a lot of people who have high-paying and high-commitment jobs say something similar. Still, you can do a lot of good in both of those fields if you are successful and there is something to be said for being good at what you do.

4. mike beach says:

i’m still stuck at the library thanks to rent/student loans. i say we start living like those surfers in point break.

5. nrhatch says:

Love your graphic! Good luck finding your purpose and pursuing it with passion.

6. Looking for word in the creative sector is always difficult, good economy or not. You are talented as hell. Be good to this guy, Universe.

7. thysleroux says:

“Working for a purpose” is indeed something we would all like to aspire to, interesting if I look back over the years how many companies have ceased to exist where I once worked “without or without purpose”. Seems “purpose” didn’t outlast “lack of purpose” … or vice versa even …

Perhaps the trick lies therein to create purpose in this present time and space irrespective of environment?

(By the way,I noticed you mentioned me on webcomicsoverlook. I feel seriously… seriously honored!!! I thank you!)

• Posky says:

I’m not going to dare speculate but nothing can last forever.

(Don’t sweat it, I like your comics and figured that other people should give them a peep).

8. milieus says:

Great post! I completely relate to this. I had the exact same experience at my old job… minus the lazy eye. The atmosphere became toxic and exhausting. I knew I was stuck and was never going to be able to move up in the company. I quit my job without any plans. It was the best thing I have ever done career-wise because I found a contract job during the Olympics working for a great company, then I went to Thailand for 6 weeks, and when I returned I landed a full time job with that great company.

Take risks! Something will pop up!

<3 Milieu

9. Naomi says:

Well said & great sketch! Having a lazy eye I’ll take this as a reminder to make sure people can ‘look me in it’ :-)

• Posky says:

I have a couple of friends who have a lazy eye and I never noticed it. However, I disliked her so much as a person, that I noticed each and every imperfection that she had. Her hair was terrible and I’m pretty sure she wore the same four outfits everyday too. Don’t get me started on her voice and habits.

10. Well, a hobo-drifter ala Of Mice and Men is better than a hobo-drifter ala The Grapes of Wrath. Remember what Rose of Sharon had to do to that one starving guy? Ewww… ;)

11. sly fox says:

Hey-thanks so much for reading my blog! It means a lot. I really love this post and can definitely relate. You’ve got a good thing going here, so keep up the excellent work! Looking forward to reading more from you.

12. Heart says:

Thanks for speaking your mind.. If would have to write on the topic, I would write similarly I feel.. I agree, that we all cannot work in the ideal situation and most of us don’t enjoy our jobs because they are not our dream jobs.. I have been going through a lot myself lately, with my 9 to 5 and with an eagerness to write more, but as home bills and school fees would suggest otherwise, some dreams are off on the hold.. And occasionally the ones that come true are what keeps me going..

13. Ahhh Purpose–Purpose provides meaning for living–unless you are heavy into just existing = inhale, exhale, eliminate waste products. I know lots of people who claim eating is reason enough for living. There’s not much talk about having a purpose –no, that preacher’s books does NOT count here! Having a purpose suggests having thoughts, looking at the world with awareness, seeing oneself for who one IS–accepting oneself too. Knowing yourself well enough to know what trips your LIVE trap totally!
    And then there’s the Universe—oh yeah, the tao, IS, Great Mystery, Wahupa—yeah, sometimes if you don’t go with the flow it will drown you.

Enjoyed the music. Like his voice. Lyrics decent. Two hooves up!

14. catereena says:

I think the bottom line is, be happy. Otherwise, life isn’t worth living.

The album looks pretty awesome. I will definitely buy it. (when I have the money.)

• Posky says:

I think you can buy individual songs on amazon but it’s cheaper to buy the entire album through the above website and that money goes to charity.

Glad you liked it.